Akkerman Earth Pressure Balance Machines (EPBM) are designed for soft, wet, or unstable, pressurized ground under the water table. Akkerman EPBM equipment is manufactured to pipe jack prefabricated jacking pipe or install liner plate, rib and board, or steel liner plate.
EPBM systems for large infrastructure projects are custom designed and manufactured.
- Cutter Heads and Tooling – Our EPBMs are customized with soft ground cutting heads with carbide embedded tooling or mixed‐face designs that incorporate roller disc cutters and soft ground tooling.
- Plenum Mixing Chamber – The Plenum Chamber mixes the spoils and allows the operator to inject conditioning slurry directly behind the cutter head.
- Earth Pressure Sensors – Dual earth pressure sensors on the plenum communicate the chamber pressure to the EPBM operator.
- Sealed Steering System – Active articulation for line and grade control in combination with a sealed steering joint.
- Primary Screw Conveyor – The EPBM uses a variable speed primary screw conveyor to adjust the spoil removal rate from the plenum chamber. The conveyor speed is dependent on the rate of advancement of the EPBM and earth pressure in the plenum chamber.
- Main Bearing and Drive System – Akkerman EPBM systems utilize heavy‐duty tri‐roller TBM bearings with grease purged bearing seals. Our Hydraulic periphery drive system offers variable speed control with high torque output.
- Guidance System – Akkerman EPBM systems can accommodate a variety of guidance systems depending on the application. For pipe jacking, a standard tunnel laser with an active target system is often used. Extended distances, curved tunnels, and ring building systems utilize total station, prism‐based navigation control systems.
- Additional Accessories – A variety of complementary accessories are available for your project requirements.
Earth Pressure Balance Machine (EPBM)
T&D Services, Inc.
Since the very first time we contacted Akkerman in 2006 they have been nothing but helpful! We did a RPO on a pilot tube system for a project and the rest is history. We have 3 pilot tube systems and other Akkerman equipment now and would not change a thing. They are a high-quality manufacturer, and they provide excellent after the sale support (to include supporting us on Akkerman equipment bought from other contractors) with in stock parts and technical assistance.