Guided Pipe Reaming
Guided Pipe Reaming is a trenchless method by which a pipeline is pulled into the ground after a pilot tube is installed on line and grade. This method is similar to Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD), however instead on installing pilot rods from the surface and following a shallow arc that is suitable for pressure lines and electrical utilities, Guided Pipe Reaming is a pit launch application that installs pilot rods on line and grade without the requirement of oversized pullback reamers.
- Environmentally Friendly: Guided Pipe Reaming does not use high volumes of bentonite slurry to flush cuttings and potentially cause surface frac-out.
- Accuracy: The pilot tube installation ensures line and grade accuracy. Pull-back reamers used have nominal overcut diameters typically used in the gravity flow sewer industry.
- Cost Reduction: Alternative pipe materials can be considered based on project requirements and geotechnical conditions.
- HDD Assist: Pilot tubes can be used to guide horizontal directional drill stems along a critical section of the alignment that requires exact line and grade control during large HDD projects.
- Pilot tubes are accurately installed from the launch shaft to the receiving shaft with tooling selected based on the ground conditions encountered.
- Depending on the product pipe diameter and ground conditions, multiple options may be available for the second step.
- For product pipe similar in diameter to the installed pilot tubes, a pull-swivel and reamer or displacement tool are connected to the product pipe and installed directly on line and grade.
Microtunneling Market Strong in North America
The following excerpt features an interview with Jason Holden recently featured in an article from Tunnel Business Magazine. Continued Advancement Drives Growth in New Installation Projects The microtunneling market is steady and healthy in North America, according to experts in the field. As larger and more complex projects have been completed, project owners are becoming […]