Navigation control is one of the most critical elements for successful microtunneling. Design criteria installation accuracy is maintained using active laser guidance systems.
A shaft station reference laser is positioned on line and grade behind the jacking frame and protected from disturbance. The laser is projected down the tunnel onto the MTBM’s active target at the design’s line and grade. The MTBM contains three inclinometers read and transmit the MTBMs pitch, yaw, and incline data coordinates. Target sensors relay this data to where it is numerically displayed on the operator’s control console.
- Light sensitive TGS100 active target reads the laser beam and transmits x and y coordinates and MTBM incline to the control console interface
- Reads the location of the most intense light
- Two redundant inclinometers to measure MTBM pitch and roll
- Target display screen displays current and projected cutter head position
- System logs over 100 data points for customized reporting to track and graph alignment deviation, face pressure, and torque changes.
Microtunneling Guidance System
Super Excavators, Inc.
Super Excavators, Inc. has enjoyed a long partnership with Akkerman over the years. We originally bought a competitor’s microtunnel system and had nothing but problems with quality and service. Finally we called Akkerman and bought their SL36 microtunnel system. Since then we have never looked back. We have bought several other pieces of equipment from Akkerman. From GBM equipment to ABIS to several microtunnel cutting heads. They have been great working with our staff to customize the equipment for our specific needs. We have put their equipment to the test on several projects by pushing the envelope in long drive distances and very difficult ground conditions. The equipment has responded well and together we have made modifications to continue to improve on efficiency. In our business it is necessary to have people their when you need them. Akkerman has done a great job at supplying quality equipment and servicing our needs in a timely matter, helping keep our work on schedule.