Navigation control is one of the most critical elements for successful microtunneling. Design criteria installation accuracy is maintained using active laser guidance systems.
A shaft station reference laser is positioned on line and grade behind the jacking frame and protected from disturbance. The laser is projected down the tunnel onto the MTBM’s active target at the design’s line and grade. The MTBM contains three inclinometers read and transmit the MTBMs pitch, yaw, and incline data coordinates. Target sensors relay this data to where it is numerically displayed on the operator’s control console.
- Light sensitive TGS100 active target reads the laser beam and transmits x and y coordinates and MTBM incline to the control console interface
- Reads the location of the most intense light
- Two redundant inclinometers to measure MTBM pitch and roll
- Target display screen displays current and projected cutter head position
- System logs over 100 data points for customized reporting to track and graph alignment deviation, face pressure, and torque changes.
Microtunneling Guidance System
Lithos Engineering is focused on providing tunnel design and construction management for underground construction projects across the United States and has worked with many different tunnel contractors on projects of varying sizes and complexity. I am always happy
to see Akkerman equipment on our project sites and I know we can rely on Akkerman products for a high level of performance and reliability.
I had the pleasure of working with Akkerman on one of our projects for which they designed and constructed a project specific hard rock TBM for a curved water conveyance tunnel high in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Akkerman not only provided great solutions and technical support for the project but was a pleasure to work with in a collaborative teaming environment that allowed us to not only reduce project risks but reduce construction costs and schedule. During that project, I visited the Akkerman production facility to inspect the TBM under construction; I was extremely impressed with the Akkerman management, staff, and systems for quality control. I look forward to a long future of working with Akkerman and their products on our tunneling projects.