The Akkerman lube and jack can is an extreme asset for any contractor looking to reduce risk on a microtunneling project. These units mount directly behind an Akkerman MTBM head and serve three very distinctive benefits that promote a successful project.
- The unit contains a primary stand-alone injection system that ensures proper delivery of pipe lubricant to the annulus directly behind the MTBM. The bentonite injection system is remotely controlled and monitored by the operator or ran in automatic mode.
- The unit contains propulsion jacks housed in a sealed telescopic can that is remotely controlled by the MTBM operator at the surface. This allows smooth and dynamic advancement control of the excavation at the cutterhead in adverse ground conditions and rock.
- An on-board hydraulic power pack not only supplies power to the propulsion cylinders when selected, and the operator can remotely control multiple intermediate jacking stations with lines supplied from the MTBM eliminated high-pressure hydraulic lines from the launch shaft.
- On-board powerpack is interchangeable between similar diameter units.
- Lube and Jack Can promotes flexibility in pipe string for line and grade accuracy.
- Reduce pipe jacking loads by properly injecting bentonite lube to annulus.
- Control software supported by Akkerman Microtunnel Control systems.
MTBM Lubrication & Jacking
Akkerman has proven to be the “go-to” manufacturer of American Made TBM’s, GBM’s, and pipejacking systems. This is not just based on the 13+ years I’ve been doing business with them, but the nearly 40-years of successful partnering between Pacific Boring and Akkerman, a relationship I look forward to continuing.